Applying for a SIN #

A SIN is a nine-digit number used in the administration of various Canadian government programs. A SIN is required to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs. Requesting a SIN at the same time as registering your child’s birth is more convenient and reduces paperwork. It saves you from having to go to Service Canada at a later date to fill out another application form to apply for the SIN.

    A SIN in the name of your child is required to access Govern of Canada benefits such as:

  • Opening a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)
  • Getting the Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG) and
  • Obtaining the Canada Learning Bond.

Applying for your Child’s S.I.N Number

Obtain a Registration of Live Birth package from the hospital where your child was born or from the midwife who attended the birth or click on the link to download.. After completing the birth registration section, simply check the SIN application box and add your signature in the Release of Information section found at the bottom of the Registration of Live Birth form. When completed, this is considered the SIN application for your child. The information required to apply for a SIN will be sent to Service Canada after the birth registration is completed.

There is no fee to apply for your child’s first SIN card. In general, from the time a parent sends in the Registration of Live Birth form, if it is filled out correctly, it usually takes approximately three to four weeks for the entire process to be completed.