Whenever we travel abroad, we carry a passport without giving it much thought. Obtaining a passport for your new baby or child isn’t that hard to do. Photo Identification and a passport is required for anyone who is travelling or entering a new country.
Who can apply for child’s passport:
- One of the child’s parents
- The custodial parent as a result of divorce or separation
- The legal guardian
To apply for a passports parents must attain:
- Complete a Child Passport Application for Canadians under the age of 16 years of age
- Two identical passport photos*
- Application and photo certified by a guarantor**
- Photocopy of Birth Certificate
- Fee of $57 valid for five years
Passport Photos Where to Go:
Passport photos can be taken a numerous retails store locations such as Costco, Walmart, Shoppers Drug Mart and Blacks. Sears provides infant passport photos with special equipment for young infants.
Passport Photo Guidelines:
- Taken by a commercial photographer
- Clear, sharp and in focus. Photos may be in colour or in black and white
- Taken with a neutral facial expression, Passport Canada recognizes the difficulty in obtaining a neutral expression of a newborn and infants and will allow for some tolerance in this regard
- For young babies, the photo may be taken while the child is sitting in a car seat, as long as a white blanket is placed over the seat behind the child’s head. There must be no shadows on the face or shoulders, around the ears or in the background.
*Passport Photos – Photos can be taken at most photo centres and usually take about an 1 hour. Eyes must be open but children facial expressions must be neutral (no frowning, smiling). You will provided with two copies of the photos.
**Guarantor – Is a person who confirms your child’s identity and has knowledge of your child. There should be no fee for your guarantor to verify your child’s id. example: Family doctor, dentist, optometrist, pharmacist, principal, judge and lawyer.
For more Information:
|Sign up for our e-newsletter for the latest parenting information, local events, and new products and services for your growing family.|